Definition of the NANDA label
The Risk of infection is the state in which the individual has a high risk of being invaded by pathogenic infectious agents.
Susceptible to invasion and multiplication of pathogenic organisms, which may compromise health.
- Alteration of primary defenses:
- Skin continuity solution.
- Traumatized tissues.
- Decreased ciliary action.
- Body fluid retention.
- Modification of the pH of secretions.
- Alteration of peristalsis.
- Alteration of secondary defenses:
- Anemia (decreased hemoglobin).
- Suppression of the inflammatory response.
- Inadequate acquired immunity.
- Tissue injuries and increased environmental exposure.
- Chronic diseases.
- Effect of pharmacological agents.
- Invasive therapeutic procedures.
- Rupture of the amniotic membrane.
- Lack of knowledge to avoid exposure to pathogens.
At risk population
- Cold temperature of operating room
- Excessive number of personnel present during the surgical procedure
- Increased environmental exposure to pathogens – Sub-optimal American Society of Anaesthesiologists (ASA) physical health status score – Surgical wound contamination
- Diabetes mellitus
- Duration of surgery
- Inadequate antibiotic prophylaxis
- Ineffective antibiotic prophylaxis
- Infections at other surgical sites
- Invasive procedure
- Post-traumatic osteoarthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Type of anesthesia
- Type of surgical procedure
- Use of implants and/or prostheses
- Risk control. Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs).
- Wound healing. By first intention.
- Wound healing. By second intention.
- Infectious state.
- Immune status.
- Teaching and education: safe sex.
- Teaching and education: sexuality.
- Protection against infection.
- Wound care.
- Care of the incision site.
- Infection control.
- Circulatory care. Arterial insufficiency.
- Wound care.
- Immunization management. Vaccination.
- Analysis of the health situation.
Other NANDA diagnoses:
00107 Ineffective infant feeding pattern
00001 Nutritional imbalance due to excess
00114 Relocation stress syndrome
00104 Ineffective breastfeeding
00068 Readiness for enhanced spiritual well-being
00135 Complicated grieving
00057 Risk for impaired parenting
00109 Dressing self-care deficit
00138 Risk for other-directed violence