Definition of the NANDA label
The Risk of infection is the state in which the individual has a high risk of being invaded by pathogenic infectious agents.
Susceptible to invasion and multiplication of pathogenic organisms, which may compromise health.
- Alteration of primary defenses:
- Skin continuity solution.
- Traumatized tissues.
- Decreased ciliary action.
- Body fluid retention.
- Modification of the pH of secretions.
- Alteration of peristalsis.
- Alteration of secondary defenses:
- Anemia (decreased hemoglobin).
- Suppression of the inflammatory response.
- Inadequate acquired immunity.
- Tissue injuries and increased environmental exposure.
- Chronic diseases.
- Effect of pharmacological agents.
- Invasive therapeutic procedures.
- Rupture of the amniotic membrane.
- Lack of knowledge to avoid exposure to pathogens.
At risk population
- Cold temperature of operating room
- Excessive number of personnel present during the surgical procedure
- Increased environmental exposure to pathogens – Sub-optimal American Society of Anaesthesiologists (ASA) physical health status score – Surgical wound contamination
- Diabetes mellitus
- Duration of surgery
- Inadequate antibiotic prophylaxis
- Ineffective antibiotic prophylaxis
- Infections at other surgical sites
- Invasive procedure
- Post-traumatic osteoarthritis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Type of anesthesia
- Type of surgical procedure
- Use of implants and/or prostheses
- Risk control. Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs).
- Wound healing. By first intention.
- Wound healing. By second intention.
- Infectious state.
- Immune status.
- Teaching and education: safe sex.
- Teaching and education: sexuality.
- Protection against infection.
- Wound care.
- Care of the incision site.
- Infection control.
- Circulatory care. Arterial insufficiency.
- Wound care.
- Immunization management. Vaccination.
- Analysis of the health situation.
Other NANDA diagnoses:
00078 Ineffective health management
00127 Syndrome of deterioration in the interpretation of the environment
00083 Decisional conflict
00086 Risk for peripheral neurovascular dysfunction
00014 Bowel incontinence
00172 Risk for complicated grieving
00120 Situational low self-esteem
00167 Readiness for enhanced self-concept
00101 Inability of the adult to maintain its development